WHO’S BEHIND THIS?
We want to better understand Meniere’s disease and what factors influence people’s symptoms. We also hope to investigate whether any patterns exist in symptom severity to see if people experience bad days on the same day.
We’d love to hear from you about the app or if you have any questions.
- Email: J.Tyrrell@exeter.ac.uk
- Phone: 01872 258137
WHY MY PATIENT?
To be eligible to participate in this research project your patient must be:
1) Diagnosed with Ménière’s disease by your doctor
3) Be over 18 years of age
4) Have a smartphonev
5) Consent to us collecting their location data with GPS.
*We only want to include participants who have experienced symptoms within the last year, because we wish to monitor people with active disease.
vTo participate in the research participants need to have a smartphone.
TELL ME MORE ABOUT THE APP
WHAT DOES IT DO?
- Monitors the key symptoms of Meniere’s on a daily basis.
- Each day participants will be asked to record the severity of their tinnitus, vertigo, aural fullness and your current hearing status.
DO I HAVE TO DO ANYTHING?
- No, we have just provided this information in case your patient discusses the application with you and we therefore wanted to provide you with more information.
HOW WILL IT BENEFIT THE PATIENT?
- It will enable people to accurately monitor symptoms
- It might help with identification of triggers
- It will summarise the information for the patient
WILL THE APP BENEFIT MY CARE OF THE PATIENT?
- Given the unpredictable nature of Meniere’s the app will help patients monitor their disease and may assist you in their treatment, by allowing you to look at the severity of their symptoms and how these fluctuate over time. The app will produce simple graphics that will quickly enable you to determine how the patient has been feeling since you last saw them.
- It may also help you and patient identify specific triggers which are linked to their attacks.
IS IT CONFIDENTIAL?
- Yes. We won’t disclose any of your information to any third party unless (1) we’re required to do so by law, or (2) we do so under a strict contractual agreement with other academic researchers, exclusively for the purpose of academic research at a recognised institution.
IS IT SECURE?
- Yes. All communication between the app and our data store is over an SSL-encrypted connection, the same kind used for online banking and shopping. The data store is a firewalled and fully updated Linux server.
IS IT EASY TO GET OUT OF?
- Yes. Taking part is completely voluntary. Participants can withdraw at any time and without giving a reason: just delete the app from your phone. You could also ask us to delete all your data from our data store.
I HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION
Great, please get in touch.