It’s part of a research project at the University of Exeter.
We’d love to have you on board.
WHAT ARE THE AIMS OF THE PROJECT?
- Currently Ménière’s disease is quite poorly understood and limited research has been carried out into the condition.
- This study aims to investigate how the symptoms of the disease vary on a daily basis.
- Specifically we will aim to investigate what factors influence symptoms severity and whether any environmental factors influence symptoms. Environmental factors include things like weather and pollen levels.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
- You get MonitoringMeniere’s from the app store or android store.
- We beep you once a day and ask you to input your current symptom level for tinnitus, hearing, vertigo and aural fullness.
- The data gets sent back — anonymously and securely — to our data store, along with your approximate location from the phone’s GPS.
AM I ELIGIBLE TO TAKE PART?
- We are interested in monitoring anyone in the UK over the age of 18 who has received a diagnosis of Ménière’s disease and has experienced symptoms of their disease within the last year.
- You will need a smartphone and you must be happy for us to collect your location data using your phones global positioning satellite (GPS).
- You are more than welcome to use this app if you do not live in the UK we will just not include you in our research into triggers as we only have access to UK databases.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
- Interesting information about your Meniere’s, which you can download or see charted inside the app
- Useful information to show to your doctor
- Helping to contribute to our understanding of Meniere’s which may help you and others living with the condition
WHAT’S IN IT FOR US?
- We are interested in what influences the symptoms of Meniere’s, we will research whether people undergo symptom spikes at the same time and attempt, using your location data, to understand whether environmental factors influence your symptoms.
- We’ll be publishing the results in academic journals and elsewhere